Sunday, November 30, 2008

How many?

“You see, when you end up killing one of your men, you tell yourself it happened so you could save the lives of two or threee or ten others. Maybe a hundred others.

This time the mission is a man…
This Ryan is better be worth it. He’d better go home and cure some disease or invent a longer-lasting light bulb or something.”

Yesterday I started the adventure of seeing 101 movies from the IMDB Top 250 Films List and I started from one that I think that I didn’t see since the time that it was in the cinema, Saving Private Ryan.
The Second World War is a history-period that really interests me, all the things that happened, all the mechanisms that lead to it, all the humanity that gone out, all the things that men could do to men. And it happened in my century. My mom born just a few years after of the end of the war, it was in my continent, and we really saw photos of the true horror. Not like one of those distant conflicts, in time or space.

This Spielberg movie moves around this idea that fascinates me…How many lives does it worth a life of a man? During the almost three hours my thoughts and ideas are tested, always coming to my mind “And what if it was me?”, what should I do, how would I react? And the final and big question…does the life of one worths eight more?
And I still don’t know my answer.

Anyway, the film really reminds me how in time of despair, humanity must be really a different thing. And this makes me think.

“James… Earn this.
Earn it.”

No comments: