Friday, January 9, 2009

Cold

Today it’s the coldest day of winter in Portugal.
Despite the cold, the shudder when we go out, the news that shows the “special-plans” for the homeless and coldest areas, and the “orange alert” in most of the continent regions, I am sure that definitely we are not a cold country. First, the coldest year, in Lisbon, has temperatures between 0º and 9º C (last year, in April, I was in France and in Paris during the day was always between 0º and 9º C) and, secondly, because I found out that I don’t know were my pair of gloves is. If we were a really cold country I should have about 5 pairs of gloves, a woollen hat (or something to put in the head) and wear about 3 pairs of socks at the same time. I looked to people today and or they don’t know of their gloves also, or the cold in Portugal is not so unbearable. And I’m tilted for this last one.

Today I also bought a Pearl Jam DVD.
Pearl Jam is probably my “adolescence band”. I am perfectly remembered that my first CD was from Pearl Jam (before that I only had some vinyl records of don’t-know-very-well-what) and I get it in one of my birthdays. When I entered the store I was far of imagine that I would be buying that DVD few moments later. It wasn’t expensive and what captured my attention was the songs-alignment. In the first line I read “Long Road” and right away in my mind a voice talked “Long Road?? Wow, a rare song in the opening of a DVD”… my eyes kept reading and the voices in my mind also “Dissident also? I only had this one in a tape! “It’s OK” – what music should be this??” and the almost 30 songs convince me to take it. No “Black”, No “Alive”, No “Last Kiss”… Like they say on the little pamphlet “…a half a bottle of wine left to go and the perfect atmosphere to break out an obscure b-side”. The DVD is playing for about an hour and I’m glad for had bought it. It feels good to hear all this songs so many years after. To notice that I still remember the lyrics and the feelings that they gave me in that time =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Southwest) Germany isn't that cold, but you're right, I own 4 pairs of gloves gradually thicker and warmer, to respond to the different grades of coldness here.
I think outside it's a few degrees below zero today. Not the coldest day of this year.
In 1998 when I studied in Marburg, only about 200 km north from here, also in Germany, at 7 am when I went to college, I experienced temperatures like 15 degrees below zero ...